[clue-talk] On "sales people" (was Re: Sales presentations at meetings)

Mike Bean beandaemon at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 13:56:09 MST 2010

Well, I can't speak to KVM I'm still trying to learn it on the desktop, but
I can say with supreme confidence that ESXi's biggest problems are that most
people don't understand it/misconfigure it.   It's hideously complex and
modular, and frequently we get calls from people who had to "take over their
cluster" after the ESX/ESXi guy "left" and have no experience with the
subject.  Long story short, I got assigned to "fault" after coming here.
 That means the people who call because their host crashed and they want to
know why, generally end up talking to me or someone like me.

The net effect is not completely unlike trying to learn about cars by
studying crushed cubes at the demolition yard.  People like me are a mixed
blessing.  We may not always know what to do, but we have a pretty strong
grasp on what NOT to do.

Mike Bean