[clue] Group buy for BeagleBoneBlack , RBPi and accessories

Alex samide absamide at yahoo.com
Fri May 31 16:02:15 MDT 2013

Well, there is a kickstarter for a new board that is claiming it will be fully open-source so all schematics are supposed to be available. I believe that should include the GPU which is the sticking point on many of the SBC cards out there for creating open drivers.  Looks like the target price on that hardware though will be around $100-$150 for the final product if they can get it fully funded and get it on the market.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/435742530/udoo-android-linux-arduino-in-a-tiny-single-board/posts

Now, the theory is that the RPi has "open source" graphics drivers supported by the vendor which was the sticking point for them earlier.  I don't think it qualifies for fully open hardware compliant because I got the impression the GPU hardware is still proprietary, but the drivers have been opened so that it can be more easily used for other OS.

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2219618/raspberry-pi-gpu-drivers-released-as-open-source

I know BeagleBone has done quite a bit of work with and is used in the Linux Foundation classes.  I haven't gone looking for the drivers themselves, but it is possible they are integrated into the Linux kernel already so would be considered open drivers there.  I found a document for the new BBB which claims "a truly open hardware and software development platform" so they take a risk there if the information isn't provided somewhere.

http://www.ti.com/general/docs/lit/getliterature.tsp?literatureNumber=spry235&fileType=pdf

Those are about the best options I have found for trying to meet the Open source essence.